The on-going success and operation of NAMI Arapahoe/Douglas Counties depends on the generous support of Mental Health Volunteers like you. If you have personal experience as a loved one, are a person in recovery, or have a strong interest or passion around mental health issues, we welcome your help in contributing to the important work that we do within Arapahoe and Douglas Counties as a volunteer.
We can guide you toward the right volunteer opportunity that will best utilize your unique skill set for a meaningful volunteer experience. A variety of on-going volunteer opportunities will accommodate many schedules, from a few times a year to a few hours a month.
Program specific NAMI training will prepare you with all the tools you need for a successful volunteer experience. Of course, on-going volunteer support is always available. Volunteering is a great way to stay connected with NAMI Arapahoe/Douglas Counties, especially for those who have taken our classes or been engaged in our support groups.
Current Volunteer Roles:
- Coffee and Connect Assistant – Currently Filled
- Assist in providing coffee and refreshments, prepare and set up the meeting location, clean up meeting location at the conclusion of the meeting, and assist the Coffee and Connect facilitator as needed. Requires approximately 2-3 hours/month on a Saturday morning.
- Community Flyer Distribution
- Distribute and post NAMI Arapahoe/Douglas Counties event and informational flyers in public places such as Panera Bread and Starbucks and others as directed. Requires approximately 3-5 hours/month and a car.
- Crisis Intervention Team (CIT) Training Support – Currently Filled
- Assist NAMI CIT trainer in providing lunch at Arapahoe and Douglas County Crisis Intervention Training six (6) times per year. Volunteer would assist in food ordering, food pick-up/delivery and meal setup.
- Crisis Intervention Team (CIT) Training Presenter – Currently Filled
- Provide a 60 minute NAMI Family perspective at a CIT training event, approximately six times per year, in Arapahoe and Douglas Counties. A program has been created to be presented.
- Douglas Arapahoe Suicide Prevention Alliance (DASPA) Representative – Currently Filled
- Volunteer as a NAMI representative for a monthly DASPA meeting 1st Wednesday of each month 1:00-2:30 p.m. Arapahoe Douglas Mental Health Network. Volunteer should have a good knowledge of NAMI programs with good communication skills and be able to participate in discussions about mental illness and suicide prevention
- Family to Family Co-Coordinator
- For Family to Family 12 week course – 3-4 times per year. Order class materials, Prepare student manuals, be at the first class to assist F2F teacher with materials for class and other duties throughout the 12 week class period. Communicate and assist F2F Coordinator for other duties. Communicate with teachers/ leaders as needed. Must be familiar with NAMI programs, previous experience with Family to Family preferred.
- Family Support Advocate (on-site)
- Volunteers will serve as an on-site support resource at one of our community partner locations for family members and loved one of those currently recovering from a mental condition. 1-2 hour time commitment per month. Minimal training required.
- Family and Friends Facilitator
- A short-term seminar that informs people who have loved ones with a mental health condition how to best support them. It is also an opportunity to meet other people in similar situations and gain support. NAMI ADCO needs 2-4 volunteers to train for and facilitate future seminars. Volunteers must already be trained for as a Family-to-Family facilitator.
- Family Support Group Facilitators
- Help facilitate bi-monthly family support group meetings. NAMI training required and provided. Please contact the volunteer coordinator for next scheduled training.
- NAMI Basics Facilitators
- Help facilitate a 6-week education program for parents and family caregivers of children and teens who are experiencing symptoms of mental illness. NAMI training required and provided. Please contact the volunteer coordinator for next scheduled training
- Resource/Health Fair Coordinator
- Answer requests from the community and the 9 Health fair providers to arrange for NAMI presence (a resource table) at these events at various locations within Arapahoe and Douglas Counties usually in the spring with a few in the fall. Contact and schedule volunteers to be at the tables and have NAMI materials and supplies available. Need to be familiar with NAMI programs and materials. Training provided.
- Volunteer Co-Coordinator
- Assist the volunteer coordinator with duties such as managing the volunteer database/spreadsheet, contacting potential volunteers, and helping assign volunteer tasks and trainings, as well as any other needs that come up.
If you are interested in volunteering please fill out the Volunteer Contact Form.