NAMI Basics is an education program available free of charge for parents and other family caregivers who provide care for youth (age 22 or younger) who are experiencing mental health symptoms. Since 2009, NAMI Basics has been offered in an in-person format by NAMI Affiliates in local communities.
To meet increasing demand for more convenient access to the program, NAMI created an OnDemand version of NAMI Basics, which is offered online and available 24/7.
Both NAMI Basics format options – in person and OnDemand – offer parents and caregivers the unique opportunity to quickly realize they’re not alone. Recovery is a journey, and there is hope.
What You’ll Gain
At NAMI Arapahoe/Douglas Counties, you’ll find out that you’re not alone. Recovery is a journey, and there is hope. The group setting of NAMI Basics provides mutual support and shared positive impact—you can experience compassion and reinforcement from people who understand your situation. You also can help others with your own experience.
Program Highlights Include:
- Solving problems and communicating effectively
- How to take care of yourself and handle stress
- Accepting that mental health conditions are no one’s fault
- Developing the confidence and stamina to support your child with compassion
- Advocating for your child’s rights at school and in health care settings
- Learning about different types of mental health care professionals, available treatment options and therapies
- Preparing for and responding to crisis
- Gaining an overview of the public mental health care, school and juvenile justice systems
- Understanding the challenges and impact of mental health conditions on your entire family
- Brain biology and getting a diagnosis
We ask that class participants are members of NAMI Arapahoe/Douglas Counties. If you aren’t already a member please join via our Membership Page.