NAMI Family-to-Family is a free education course created by an experienced family member who was also a mental health professional. This course is offered to family members and caregivers of adult persons living with mental illness.
The course consists of eight (8) weekly classes and balances education and skill training with self-care, emotional support, and empowerment.
What you will learn
- Current information about a range of mental illnesses, including co-occurring mental illnesses and substance use disorders.
- Impact of mental illness on the brain.
- Current research on treatments including medication, side effects and evidence-based therapies. Skills related to managing crises, solving problems and communicating effectively.
- Strategies for self-care including management of stress and emotional overload.
- Guidance on locating appropriate local supports and services.
As a participant, you will gain comfort in knowing you are not alone. Recovery is a journey and there is hope for all families and individuals dealing with a mental illness. The group experience provides an opportunity for mutual support and positive impact. You will experience compassion and reinforcement from people who relate to your experiences.
If you are interested in joining us, please pre-register by filling out the NAMI Family-to-Family Registration form.
If you aren’t already a NAMI member, we invite you to join us. Learn more here: Membership Page.