As of March 16, 2020 all in person support groups have been suspended until further notice. We will begin hosting Zoom support groups starting the week of April 1, 2020. If you would like to join one of our volunteer led, online support programs, please let us know by emailing email@example.com
Find a NAMI Arapahoe/Douglas Family Support Group
NAMI Arapahoe/Douglas Counties offers three Family Support Groups, which meet different family needs:
Description: For Parents and Families of Teens and Adults
Time: 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of the Month 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm*
Location: St Luke’s United Methodist Church
8817 S Broadway Highlands Ranch, CO 80126
Description: Group for Parents and Caregivers of Children and Adolescents, held in cooperation with Family Partners (Dinner provided)
Time: 1st and 3rd Thursdays of the Month 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm*
Location: AllHealth Network, Southwood Location
61 W Davies Ave N Littleton, CO 80120
(*) Except holidays or snow closings. Please check our calendar for updated schedule/closings
NAMI Arapahoe/Douglas Family Support Group is a free peer-led support group for family members, caregivers and loved ones of individuals living with mental illness. Gain insight from the challenges and successes of others facing similar circumstances.
All NAMI Family Support Groups are unique because they follow a structured model, ensuring everyone has an opportunity to be heard and to get what they need.
- Designed for adult loved ones (18+) of individuals living with mental illness
- Led by family members of individuals living with mental illness
- No specific medical therapy or medication is endorsed or recommended
- Always Completely confidential
What You’ll Gain
By sharing your experiences in a safe and confidential setting, you gain hope and develop supportive relationships. This group allows your voice to be heard, and provides an opportunity for your personal needs to be met. It encourages empathy, productive discussion and a sense of community. You’ll benefit through other’s experiences, discover your inner strength and learn now to identify local resources and how to use them.
A Family Support Group will help you:
- See the individual first, not the illness
- Recognize that mental illnesses are medical illnesses that may have environmental triggers
- Understand that mental illnesses are traumatic events
- Aim for better coping skills
- Find strength in sharing experiences
- Reject stigma and not tolerate discrimination
- Not judge anyone’s pain
- Forgive ourselves and reject guilt
- Embrace humor as healthy
- Accept that we cannot solve every problem
- Work for a better future in a realistic way
For more information or to sign up for a Family Support Group please give Maureen a call at (720) 515-9638 or fill out the NAMI Family Support Group Contact Form.