On April 25th, NAMI Arapahoe/Douglas Counties hosted its inaugural Seeds of Hope Scholarship Awards Breakfast at the Hilton Denver Inverness. We proudly awarded six scholarships to local students pursing a degree in a behavioral health or human service field.
Our 2018 NAMI ADCO scholarship award recipients were:
- Talia Brown – Legend High School, Parker, Health Sciences and Psychology
- Sophie Camp – Mountain Vista H.S., Highlands Ranch, Psychology and Sociology (criminal justice)
- Sarah Knapp – Skyview Academy, Highlands Ranch, Psychology
- Brianna Lawrence – Regis University, Nursing and Psychology
- Morgan Miller – University of Colorado, Denver, Special Education
- Kimberly Smith – Arapahoe Community College, Psychology
Each scholarship award was wholly funded by private donation and we are grateful to our donors. NAMI ADCO encouraged educational diversity from its applicants. Our first time application process netted 29 student applications. Each, shared their individual passion for the cause, as well as how they intend to support our community through their professional and volunteer efforts. Learning more about them makes us hopeful and excited for the future. We offer a wholehearted thank you to all who applied and wish them the best in their endeavors.
This valuable event was a culmination of effort by many. We believe in the value of partnership and are grateful for the generous support of our community partners who sponsored our Seeds of Hope Breakfast. Each of our sponsors is doing their own important work to support mental health in Arapahoe and Douglas Counties and we encourage you to learn more about their positive impact.
- Kaiser Permanente
- AllHealth Network
- Cardel Foundation
- Denver Springs
- Healing Our Youth: Get Educated
- Rocky Mountain Crisis Partners
Finally, NAMI ADCO aims to educate families and their loved ones who are impacted by mental health through our education, support and outreach programming. To continue building capacity in Arapahoe and Douglas counties takes us all. If you or a loved one needs support, we encourage you to learn more. A few ways you can get involved (click on link below):
Thanks again to everyone who made this event possible. We look forward to next year and hope you will join us in the meantime!
Contributed by: Jason C Hopcus, president and CEO of NAMI Arapahoe/Douglas Counties