The Numbers Tell A Story
- 1 in 5 Americans will be impacted by a serious mental health condition.
- Diagnoses of major depression has risen dramatically for adolescents: 47% for boys and 65% for girls.
- In Colorado, death by suicide is the LEADING cause of death for people ages 10 – 24.
- In Arapahoe and Douglas Counties, 18 out of every 100,000 people die by suicide each year.
- Anxiety affects 30% of children and 80% go undiagnosed.
But this is not the only story…
There are Success Stories in Mental Health
Please help NAMI/Arapahoe Douglas Counties celebrate the untold success stories through its Seeds of Hope Scholarship Program.
“It’s amazing to be recognized and rewarded for something
I’ve always been ashamed of!”
“The problems with mental illness seem to be very common with people in my generation, and we need to begin working on ways to support our youth.”
“As a future, teacher, I think it is very important to know about mental health. Teachers are with their students every day, and have a chance to support students with any issues, including mental health.”
“I want to make a difference. I want to further understand why people go untreated and not even diagnosed, I want to understand why this is happening to some people and not others, I want to understand how environment can deeply affect a person, I want to know how brain differences can completely alter one’s sense of emotion, balance, and well-being.”
“When a patient rushes into a hospital with a physical illness, it is easier to diagnose and treat than someone who comes in struggling with mental illness. Because of this, I want to ensure success in the treatment of patients with mental disorders…”